Thursday, April 28, 2011

Butterfly Cookies

Well, supposedly it is spring right now. Doesn’t feel like it here in Minnesota – there were even flurries flying around today. It’s madness, I tell ya! Here’s my open letter to Mother Nature:

Dear Mother Nature,
I appreciate your attempt at getting us the snowiest winter of ALL TIME here in Minnesota. Really I do. I mean, it would make those of us who survived it – with not one, but TWO trips to the Snowblower Repair Shop – look pretty Bad @ss.

But this is the land of 10,000 beautiful lakes! Stop teasing us, making us think we will be able to use and admire them soon.

I just want to go on the record and say that I’m okay with only being the 4th snowiest winter in Minnesota history. I’m good with that, I’m down with that, it’s fantastic. We had a good run. 4 is a respectable number. In fact, I’m pretty sure that would be an ‘A’ on a standard grading scale.

Just trying to be a friend here and say: no one likes an over-achiever. An ‘A’ is an ‘A.’ Let’s be done.

Please turn our sepia-colored world into color soon. Thanks.

Pining for spring,
Leah

Well, hopefully Mother Nature gets the hint but in the meantime, since it is refusing to be spring outside, I decided to bring spring inside.

I came across this adorable site, Sweetopia. Marian is the author and she makes gorgeous cookies and other treats (I’ve been perusing the archives!). There is a great post with these beautiful butterfly cookies that I thought would be fun to try.

Since I wanted the outline to stand out on these cookies, I did that first and let it dry for a couple hours.
My butterfly cutter was a little Plain Jane so I decided to freehand some more interesting-winged butterflies.

While they were drying, I prepared all of my icing colors (pink, yellow, green, blue, purple, and white) for flooding. It had already been colored it but was resting so the air bubbles would rise.
This is actually a photo of them when I was finished...

When the outlines were dry I experimented with different color combinations.

Now that they are complete, I have some other ideas for wing designs so I’m looking forward to making these again!


What are you looking forward to this spring?
Have you made any spring-inspired treats lately?

2 comments:

  1. Leah, you're a natural!! I love the colours... your cookies look fantastic!!
    Thanks for the kudos and I look forward to seeing more from you.
    xo,
    Marian

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Marian - thanks so much, I appreciate you stopping by! Had so much fun making these butterfly cookies, thanks for the inspiration :-)

    ReplyDelete