Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Harnessing my inner Bakerella


Have you heard of bakerella? She is the Queen of Cake Pops. Amazingly talented and endlessly creative. I don’t know where I’ve been but I just learned of her adorable creations a couple months ago.

Never heard of a cake pop? Cake pops are basically cake mixed with frosting, shaped into balls, put on a stick, and dipped in chocolate. Frankly, I don’t know why I never thought of this, when I was little my preferred method of eating cake was to mash all the cake and frosting together. I thought it tasted better all mixed up. I have since reverted to eating my cake like a normal person in case you are wondering... :-)

Well I decided to harness my inner bakerella and try my hand at these. I’ve never actually tasted a cake pop or seen one in person so I’m going in a little blind as to what the end result should be like. But that’s okay because I realized that means mine will be the best I’ve ever had! Win!

To make the cake pops I pretty much followed bakerella’s instructions.

I made the cake last night and let it cool overnight. Just went with a store bought cake - devil's food.
Tonight I made the frosting, I decided to use a homemade frosting rather than canned. 
Then I crumbled the cake.

And mixed them together until I got an even consistency that would form into balls easily.

Then I formed them into balls, covered them, and put in the freezer for 15 minutes

I formed the cupcakes by pressing the balls into a 1” flower cutter and then shaping the top into a nice dome.



After that I put them back in the freezer for another 10 minutes

When they were almost ready to come out, I melted the chocolate for the bottoms.

Then I dunked the bottoms in the chocolate, and then turned them upside-down to let any excess drip (this is a messy job!)

I dipped the end of the lollipop stick into the melted chocolate and inserted it into the bottom of the cupcake.

I then set them on wax paper while working on the others.

I popped them in the fridge and got together the rest of the decorations.

I used pink and blue candy melts for the tops.
 

When the chocolate was hardened, I dipped the tops into the melted candy.

Try to get all of the excess candy coating off by tapping your hand on your wrist to gently shake the pop.

Then I decorated the tops with sprinkles and a red M&M.

I made some in blue since these are for a special birthday boy this weekend - my nephew.
The inside of a cake pop

They are just too adorable.

I can't stop looking at them.

No, really. This may be an issue.

So, there you have it. Cake pops. Cupcake pops. Cupcake cake pops. Doesn’t matter what you call them, they’re awesome!

Maybe this cake pop had a little too much fun...?

No comments:

Post a Comment