Saturday, June 25, 2011

My Favorite Frosting


Sorry I haven’t posted in over a week, I’ve been super busy and have been baking but not finding the time to blog. One of the reasons I was busy was because it was my birthday! It was on Wednesday, the 15th but I got to celebrate it (cake and all) as a joint celebration with my dad for Father’s Day.

I was thinking of trying out my new cake decorating skills on a super fancy combo birthday-Father’s day cake, but I decided that I wanted my tried and true, favorite cake for my birthday. Devil’s food cake with cooked vanilla frosting.
  

I’m not sure where the recipe originated but it is the one my mom has been making all my life. I love it because it isn’t too sweet – it’s creamy and amazingly delicious. You can’t decorate a cake with it because it is too soft, butI started using as a filling for my decorated cakes to reduce the overall sweetness from the decorating buttercream.

I know the directions sound a little weird but I promise it is ridiculous delicious. Try this frosting. Seriously. Just do it, you won’t be sorry.

Cooked Vanilla Frosting
Ingredients
3 Tbls flour
¾ cups milk

6 Tbls shortening
6 Tbls butter
¾ cups granulated sugar
1.5 tsp vanilla

Directions
1. Combine flour and milk over medium heat, stirring constantly with a whisk, until thickened. It should be about the same time the mixture starts bubbling.
2. Pour mixture into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap touching surface of mixture, and place in the fridge.
3. In the meantime, cream together shortening and butter for several minutes.
4. Add sugar and beat for several minutes until fluffy.
5. When flour mixture has cooled to room temperature, add to butter mixture and beat for another several minutes until frosting is very fluffy.
6. Add vanilla and beat until combined.
7. Enjoy the most delicious frosting you’ve ever have!

* For this four tier cake, I tripled the recipe


No comments:

Post a Comment